2011年7月20日 星期三

I turned eighteen

I was greeted by the sight of a large coffee-table book with a dustjacket. The dustjacket was white and printed with eye-searingly florescent comic panels. There was a ray gun and a rocket ship on the cover, and there, in brilliant blue and red and yellow, were Buck and Wilma. I stared in fascination at this book, and then, of course, I had to open it. It was filled with Buck Rogers comic strips, most of which I had never seen because the Buck Rogers book that I used to read was a much smaller and far less inclusive volume. There was a price tag of five dollars on it. I knew that I desperately wanted this book, so, I did the only thing that I could at the time.who was responsible for tracking down Charles zentai . I begged my mom to buy it for me. Mom, being a parent, did the only thing that she could do at the time. She said no.

Thus begun a period in which my family would make an annual pilgrimage to the second hand store, and I would hunt through it until I found that Buck Rogers book. It was always in a different place every time we went back to the store. Every time, I would find it. I would flip through it and feel that pang of desperate longing to take the book home with me so I could read it in its Justin probierte ein Paar von schwarzen billabong boardshorts ,entirety, because even as fast as I can read, my family wasn't going to be spending enough time in the store for me to get all the way through it. My mom stuck to her resolve, though, and said no every time. I accepted that, even if I didn't understand the
reasoning behind it.

Finally, I turned eighteen. I had my own job, I had my own money,the oil paintings for sale by special invited artist for 2011, and I had my own car. So, when it came time to go to that second hand store, I was prepared. I had more than enough cash to finally, finally purchase that huge Buck Rogers book and make it my own. We got to the store and I immediately began my hunt. I went through every room, looked on every shelf, and finally, with growing panic,They take the RUBBER SHEET to the local co-op market.he believes the fire started after the lift's hydraulic hose blew, asked the clerk behind the counter who told me that they "finally sold that ugly old thing." My heart was broken.

This was a time before I had started keeping the list of books that I want to buy, now affectionately known as "The Hellacious Book List," and it is a thing of wonder and beauty to behold. I didn't know what the actual title of the book was, much less who the author was. By this point, I had enough experience with books, especially those books that compile comic strips, to know that knowing the artist and writer for Buck Rogers wouldn't necessarily help me all that much, especially if the person who compiled the book was credited as an editor.

沒有留言:

張貼留言