2011年7月20日 星期三

The book is heavy

The book is heavy. It's hardbound, and it was obviously meant to be a volume for serious collectors. I read. And I read. Then, I read some more. Ray Bradbury's introduction has given me at least two quotes that truly resonated for me. "You do not start with quality. You start with dreams and the dreams must be large because you are so small, so unequal to the tasks you wish to set for yourself"; and "My God, when are we going to relax and know and accept all this, and get on with our creativity without feeling guilty or having to alibi for great loves which seem silly or trivial to others?" Yes, I would argue, based on that introduction, that of all the Geeks in the world, Ray Bradbury was, in fact, our king.

I read that introduction twice,I have never solved a Rubik's magic cube . because I knew that little nine year-old-boy Ray Bradbury wrote so stirringly about, because I was the girl version of him. I was defending my love of dinosaurs, being drawn to science fiction and science itself, and my love of comics, against an onslaught of expectations about how little girls should behave and what they should like.he believes the fire started after the lift's hydraulic hose blew, It seems, sometimes, that nothing irks the world so much as a little girl who refuses to deny her inner starry-eyed little sprocket the joys of Buck Rogers comics or dreams of robots and dinosaurs and vast dragons circling the sky. To the credit of both of my parents (Mom usually didn't say no to books or comics when I begged her for them, it just never seemed to be that magical moment when she could say yes to that one particular book), they were never the ones telling me that little girls shouldn't be interested in that, which does wonders for the ability to maintain budding Geekhood.

The comics themselves haven't changed. I have, though it isn't any detriment to the pleasure of reading those comics. I have to remember the historical context in which these stories were written. What today is a racist stereotype and an offensive word was nothing back then,The Piles were so big that the scrap yard was separating them for us. and Wilma was a revolutionary character in the 1920s when she was created. Because I do love comics so much and I have read some of those old comics (in collections and reproductions, of course), I understand, as an adult, that Wilma was an incredibly strong female character for her time. She bails herself out and saves Buck just as often as Buck Rogers
rescues her. She is a smart woman, and capable. She's strong-willed, and she doesn't just sit back and whine (most of the time, although there is a sprained ankle incident pretty early in the book that adheres so closely to the old horror movie trope of the girl tripping and falling that it's almost enough to induce an "oh please" eye roll). Buck himself is no paragon of perfection. He makes mistakes, he gets lost, but he always maintains his moral compass and manages to find his way back to doing the things that he should be.

There is an artistry to these strips that modern comics have lost, mostly due to space and printing considerations, something that I think has contributed to the slow, painful demise of the printed newspaper. Phil Nowlan was not afraid to make a strip wordy, and that was sometimes highly necessary to forwarding the story. They weren't afraid to print a strip that was wordy, either. It seems like they understood, then, that comics could tell a far-reaching, serialized story without losing readers if it was a good one. They were full of action and intrigue,Costa Rica will host surfers from all over the globe at the Quicksilver Open.It's hard to beat the versatility of Plastic molding on a production line. quickly-paced, and fun to read. Phil Nowlan was a writer before he started writing Buck Rogers, and it shows, in all the best ways. Nobody does anything just because, there are motivations that fit with the characterization. They don't do anything "just because," and there are more explanations than just "well, he's Buck Rogers, of course he would do that."

沒有留言:

張貼留言