2011年6月22日 星期三

Guest blog from Alvin the MasterChef contestant: Pizza and piles of soup vegetables

We have a 6:00am call time this morning. There is a lot of complaining and coffee drinking going on from the cast. “All in a day's work” is still my attitude,Shop a wide selection of billabong outlet products in the evo shop. there's no way that the producers will be able to break my work ethic. We are driven into downtown LA, somewhere near the Staples Center. We know today will be the first team challenge with yesterday's winners, Derrick and Max, picking the teams.

We walk into the cafeteria of the LA Times building to meet the judges. Sure enough Derrick and Max are captains. I'm picked in the middle of the pack by Derrick, captain of the red team. Our team consists of Derrick, Adrien, Christine, Suzy, Erryn, Jennie, Ben Starr,The Leading zentai suits Distributor to Independent Pet Retailers. and myself… I feel good about the team. I know it's not my turn to be the leading voice so I'm fine being the workhorse. I'm also fine stepping up as a leader if (and only if) needed.

Both teams are given a quick tour of the service area and prep kitchen. There's a lot of equipment in there that I've never used…and I've used some unusual equipment! The judges tell us we'll have just two and a half hours to prep a cafeteria style lunch for 350 dinners. Service will last two hours- Wait, how many hundred diners? I've never cooked for more than 20 people… and I had almost a whole day of prep in that! And we're not just making an entree, side, dessert…both teams will be making a signature salad, soup du jour, brick oven pizza, daily special entree with side, and dessert! Time to do work!

I quickly take a prep role with the soup. I start to break down what seems like an endless mountain of celery and carrots. I have no idea what 350 portions of soup looks like. I don't even know if I've eaten 350 portions of soup in my life… … … okay, maybe I have, but I've certainly never MADE 350 portions of soup. I just keep cutting veggies.The name "magic cube" is not unique. After a vegetable eternity, Erryn brings me two trays of chicken to dice. I've gotten a blister on my right hand from the knife at this point…this is ridiculous!

Half way through service we are getting our asses kicked. We're losing bad in the special, and our soup is getting beat seven ways to Sunday.Handmade oil paintings for sale at museum quality, But, we're winning in Pizza. Ben Starr will tell you that's because of me tossing the dough and creating a show, but he manned that oven for the full two hours. Pies were coming out really nice. I'm really upset that they didn't show more of the banter between Ben and I vs. Giuseppe at the pizza oven. It would have been really good TV- my tossing dough perfectly against an Italian with a rolling pin. Oh well, editing.

I actually was more of a secondary floater during service. I'd get a few pizzas assembled for Ben, then run around doing other things, checking on people, and return to Ben to make more pizzas. Whoever is responsible for the pizza win, it feels good to beat Giuseppe. He's trying to make, fire, and serve the pizzas all by himself…He's good, but not that good.

At the end of what seems like an epic service,We specialize in providing third party merchant account. Chef Ramsay calls us up for judgment…I'm not so confident. Alejandra's chili spanks our soup and the blue team starts with a 70 point lead…we also loose in daily special. Dang! We hold our win in Pizza, then the good news… we also win dessert and salad. The challenge is decided on the cumulative total, it's going to be close… Then the totals are shown. Blue team: 373, Red Team: 397 WE WIN!!! We're ecstatic! I was expecting a loss, but I'll take a win! no pressure test for us!

Because of our win yesterday, the red team is exempt from elimination and after a short greeting, the judges send us up to the balcony to watch the day's pressure test.

The view is great from the balcony! Yesterday's blue team is now wearing black aprons, signifying that one of them will be leaving the competition. Today's challenge will be making ravioli. Nice! But then Chef Ramsay goes on to say that they are taking the creative license away.

Everyone in the pressure test will make a simple spinach and ricotta ravioli with a simple butter sauce. No hiding behind fancy sauces or fillings, this pressure test will be all about technique… an interesting twist!

The hour moves slowly when you're not cooking. I hope to myself that I get more opportunities to get used to the view from the balcony.

On to judging…the usual highs and lows. At the end of it all, Tony is sent home. Then one of the few genuine feel good moments of the show. Graham explains what a pleasure it has been to watch Tony's food progress — from the open call auditions in Chicago all the way up till now. He then goes on to offer Tony a stage at one of his restaurants. WOW! What an opportunity for Tony. He's one of the most passionate guys here, he hopes to open a small chalk board restaurant in the future. I hope that learning from Graham and the publicity of the show will place him in a kitchen soon.

沒有留言:

張貼留言